Current flow of data
What you might feel like sayingWhat you can prefer to say instead
You are overcomplicating this
- Being mindful of timelines. Let’s concentrate on the initial scope.
That meeting sounds like a waste of my time
- I’m unable to add value to this meeting but I would be happy to review the minutes.
I told you so
- As per my prediction, this outcome does not come as a surprise.
That sounds like a horrible idea
- Are we confident that this is the best solution or are we still exploring alternatives?
I already told you this
- As Indicated prior
Can you answer all of the questions I asked and not just pick and choose one
- Are you able to provide some clarity around the other questions previously asked?
Did you even read my email?
- Reattaching my email to provide further clarity
- I’ll provide an update when I have one
Stop bothering me
- You have not heard from me because further information is not available at this time, once I have an update I’ll be sure to loop you in.
I don’t want to talk to you right now!
- I am currently tied up with something but I will connect with you once I am free.
Do your job!
- It is my understanding that you are the appropriate person to contact in regards to this. But if there’s is someone better equipped for this let me know.
That’s not my job
- This falls outside of my responsibilities but I would be happy to connect you with someone who can help.
Stop assigning me so many tasks if you want any of them to get done
- As my workload is quite heavy, can you help me understand what I should reprioritize to accommodate this new task?
Answer my emails
- If there’s a better way to get in contact with you please let me know as I am hoping to have this resolved as soon as possible.
This is not my problem
- I recommend directing this issue to [Name] as they have the proper expertise to best assist you
If you would have read the whole email you’d know the answer to this
- I have included my initial email below which contains all of the details you are looking for.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about
- Can you help me better understand what exactly is it that you require on my end?
- I am confident in my ability to complete this project and will be sure to reach out, if or when I require your input.
Please hurry and get this done!
- It is important that we have this completed in order to meet our targeted deadlines which are quickly approaching.
Stay in your own lane
- Thank you for your input. I’ll keep that in mind as I move forward with decisions that fall within my responsibilities.
I’ve told you this multiple times
- There seems to be a disconnect here as this information has already been provided.
I’m not doing your job for you
- I do not have the capacity to take this on in addition to my own workload but I’m happy to support where it makes sense.
We do not need to have a meeting about this
- Being respectful of everyone’s time let’s discuss this through email until we have a more defined agenda.
Did you just take credit for my work?
- It is great to see my ideas being exposed to a wider audience and I would have appreciated the opportunity to have been included in the delivery.
Google that yourself
- The internet is a great resource for these types of questions and I am available to clarify elements that you are not able to find online.
What you are saying does not make sense
- We seem to have a different understanding on this. Can you elaborate further on your thought process here?
I am not paid enough to do this
- This falls out of my job description but if the opportunity for a role expansion becomes available I would be happy to discuss reworking my contract to better align with these new responsibilities.
I totally forgot about your email
- Thank you for your patience,
I’m going to need a whole lot of more information if you want me to do this
- Please let me know when further details become available as I require more information to successfully complete this task.
Stop calling me before my workday even starts
- If you need to contact me, please note that my working hours being at 8 am and 6 pm. Communications received prior to this won’t be seen.
Check your inbox, I already sent this to you!
- I previously sent you an email regarding that but please let me know if something went wrong in transit.
I couldn’t care less
- I will defer to your judgment on this as I am not passionate either way and I trust your expertise.
I told you so and now this is your problem
- I did previously note that this was a likely outcome. How do you plan to resolve this?
Stop trying to make me do your work!
- I am not able to offer you additional support in completing your workload.
Try problem solving on your own before you come to me
- I encourage you to brainstorm possible solutions prior to looping me in for additional support.
Can you do your job so I don’t have to?
- Please let me know when your deliverables have been completed.
If further changes are required do them yourself.
- If further edits are required, I have attached a version of the document that you can apply your edits directly into.
You should be the one doing this, not me.
- It is my understanding that this is your responsibility. If that is not the case please let me know.
I don’t need to be included on this.
- I do not feel as though I am able to add any value to this conversation. Please remove me from this thread and feel free to loop me back in in the future should my involvement be required.
I can’t read your mind. Be more clear on what you want.
- In order to successfully complete this I will need further details on what is required.
Does taking on all this extra work come with extra pay?
- With my role expanding is there a plan to review my title and compensation to better reflect these additional responsibilities?
- As my role has organically evolved, can we schedule time to review my overall compensation and discuss whether or not it is still aligned with my current role and responsibilities?
Stop promising unrealistic timelines.
- Can you walk me through your thinking on these timelines? I have some hesitations with the dates shared.
I’ve not been properly trained on this
- Is training available in order for me to successfully complete this?
If you have me scheduled in meetings all day, when do you expect me to get this work done?
- My calendar is currently heavily scheduled with meetings. To ensure appropriate time is available to get this done I can sit out of lower priority meetings this week or extend the deadline on this project. Please let me know which is preferred?
If I’m doing your job for you, then what are you doing all day?
- Is there a higher priority task that is consuming all of your capacity at the moment?
I can’t take on anymore work right now
- I am unable to take that on at the moment as my current workload is quite heavy. Is there someone else who can assist with this?
Your micromanaging isn’t making this go any faster
- Though I appreciate your attention to this, I feel as though I could be more productive if I had an opportunity to work independently here.